The term e-government is of recent originand there exists no standard definition since the conceptual understanding isstill evolving. The generally accepted definition is:
"e-government"orelectronic government refers to the use by government agencies for any orallof the following reasons:
- Exchange of information with citizens, businesses or other government departments
- Speedier and more efficient delivery of public services
- Improving internal efficiency
- Reducing costs or increasing revenue
- Re-structuring of administrative processes.
The essence of e-Government can besummarized as: "The enhanced valuefor customers throughtransformation"
The full potential of e-Governmentcan be realized only through a focusedattention on people, process, technologyand resources appropriately.Experiences in India and abroad reveal thate-Government is not concernedmerely with purchasing of sophisticated technologies.